Rockingham County: Overnight lane closures on southbound I-81 starting Sept. 8 for paving
Motorists should expect alternating lane closures and a brief interchange off-ramp closure on southbound Interstate 81 in Rockingham County.
These traffic restrictions are scheduled for about one month beginning September 8, 2020, due to milling, paving and pavement marking operations between mile marker 254.5 and 251.2. All work is weather permitting.
Details on the lane and ramp closures are as follows:
- From Tuesday to Thursday, September 8-10, overnight lane closures are scheduled from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning.
- On Friday, September 11, overnight lane closures are scheduled from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. the following morning.
- From September 13 through October 8, overnight lane closures are scheduled for Sunday through Thursday nights from 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. the following morning.
- During later stages of the project, the southbound off-ramp to Route 11 (Valley Pike) at
- I-81 exit 251 is scheduled to be closed during overnight hours. During this closure, southbound I-81 drivers who need to reach Route 11 will detour south to I-81 exit 247A. Drivers will then immediately take the on-ramp to I-81 north and return to I-81 exit 251.
Virginia traffic alerts and traveler information can be obtained by dialing 511. Traffic alerts and traveler information also are available at www.511Virginia.org.
The VDOT Customer Service Center can assist with reporting road hazards, asking transportation questions, or getting information related to Virginia’s roads. Call 800-FOR- ROAD (800-367-7623) or use its mobile friendly website at my.vdot.virginia.gov. Agents are available 24 hours-a-day, seven days a week.
The Staunton District Twitter feed is at @VaDOTStaunton. VDOT can be followed on Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube. RSS feeds are also available for statewide information. The VDOT Web page is located at www.VirginiaDOT.org.
The VDOT Staunton District serves Frederick, Shenandoah, Clarke, Warren, Page, Rockingham, Augusta, Highland, Rockbridge, Alleghany and Bath counties.