Gas prices tick slightly upward
Gas prices in Virginia are 12.2 cents per gallon higher than a month ago and stand 50.9 cents per gallon lower than a year ago.
The national average price of gasoline has risen 1.1 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $2.19/g today. The national average is up 8.8 cents per gallon from a month ago and stands 60.8 cents per gallon lower than a year ago.
“According to GasBuddy data, gasoline demand continues to struggle as of late, hitting some mid-summer blues as coronavirus cases continue to see upward movement in more states, but it hasn’t been a sharp enough drop to push gas prices lower last week,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy. “While prices for this time of year remain the lowest in over 15 years, it’s still easy to spend more than you need to on gas by letting your guard down, especially now with several states raising gasoline taxes in the midst of summer. For now, I continue to expect gas prices to move sideways- that is- the lack of a clear national trend for now, some will rise, some will fall, as we remain in a COVID-19 holding pattern.”
Inside the Numbers
Historical gasoline prices in Virginia and the national average going back ten years:
- July 13, 2019: $2.53/g (U.S. Average: $2.80/g)
- July 13, 2018: $2.64/g (U.S. Average: $2.88/g)
- July 13, 2017: $2.04/g (U.S. Average: $2.25/g)
- July 13, 2016: $2.02/g (U.S. Average: $2.22/g)
- July 13, 2015: $2.58/g (U.S. Average: $2.77/g)
- July 13, 2014: $3.43/g (U.S. Average: $3.61/g)
- July 13, 2013: $3.39/g (U.S. Average: $3.59/g)
- July 13, 2012: $3.24/g (U.S. Average: $3.38/g)
- July 13, 2011: $3.56/g (U.S. Average: $3.64/g)
July 13, 2010: $2.54/g (U.S. Average: $2.69/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Roanoke- $1.96/g, up 1.3 cents per gallon from last week’s $1.94/g.
- Richmond- $1.98/g, up 0.9 cents per gallon from last week’s $1.97/g.
- West Virginia- $2.18/g, down 2.4 cents per gallon from last week’s $2.20/g.
GasBuddy data is accessible at FuelInsights.GasBuddy.com.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell