Gas prices holding steady after recent increases: Trend still pointing upward
The recent trend is still pointing upward, with prices 12.4 cents per gallon higher than a month ago.
The national average price of gasoline has risen 0.7 cents per gallon in the last week, averaging $1.97/g today, up 20.0 cents per gallon from a month ago.
Where things go from here is tied to the pace of states reopening from their COVID-19 lockdowns.
“The pace of increases has begun to throttle back over the last week in most states as gasoline demand’s recovery has slowed, keeping prices from matching their rapid pace from just a couple weeks ago. Prices will continue to move in lock-step with the coronavirus situation, so it remains challenging to know where prices will go in the weeks ahead,” said Patrick De Haan, head of petroleum analysis for GasBuddy.
“Oil prices saw another weekly rise, closing last week at over $35 per barrel due to a collision between oil production cuts and gasoline demand in the U.S. which has been on the mend, leading oil’s rally. The recovery in gas prices is likely to continue, though at a slower pace than what we’ve seen, with $2 per gallon likely coming in the next week or two.”
GasBuddy data is accessible at http://FuelInsights.GasBuddy.com.
Historical gasoline prices in Virginia and the national average going back ten years:
- June 1, 2019: $2.55/g (U.S. Average: $2.81/g)
- June 1, 2018: $2.75/g (U.S. Average: $2.96/g)
- June 1, 2017: $2.16/g (U.S. Average: $2.38/g)
- June 1, 2016: $2.18/g (U.S. Average: $2.32/g)
- June 1, 2015: $2.52/g (U.S. Average: $2.75/g)
- June 1, 2014: $3.47/g (U.S. Average: $3.68/g)
- June 1, 2013: $3.38/g (U.S. Average: $3.60/g)
- June 1, 2012: $3.41/g (U.S. Average: $3.61/g)
- June 1, 2011: $3.68/g (U.S. Average: $3.77/g)
- June 1, 2010: $2.59/g (U.S. Average: $2.69/g)
Neighboring areas and their current gas prices:
- Roanoke- $1.64/g, up 1.3 cents per gallon from last week’s $1.62/g.
- Richmond- $1.73/g, unchanged from last week’s $1.73/g.
- West Virginia- $1.92/g, up 2.6 cents per gallon from last week’s $1.90/g.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell