Game Notes: Virginia baseball on the road for weekend series at Pitt
Virginia (14-11, 3-6 ACC) will play its second-straight ACC road series when it travels to Pittsburgh (12-9, 2-7 ACC) for a three-game series this weekend. First pitch for Friday’s opener (March 30) and Saturday’s middle game (March 31) is scheduled for 3 p.m. The series will conclude on Sunday (April 1) at 1 p.m.
Game Coverage: All three games will be carried live on ACC Network Extra, a dedicated digital channel for ACC sports which is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app at no additional charge.
A web-only radio stream on VirginiaSports.com will be available for Friday afternoon’s game and the final two games will move to WINA 1070 AM/98.9 FM, as well as WINA.com. Links to the audio streams along with live stats are available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can follow in-game updates on the team’s official twitter page (@UVABaseball).
Probable Starting Pitchers
Virginia: RHP Derek Casey (2-2, 3.38 ERA, 40.0 IP, 9 BB, 54 SO)
Pittsburgh: RHP RJ Freure (2-1, 3.75 ERA, 24.0 IP, 11 BB, 40 SO)
Virginia: LHP Daniel Lynch (2-3, 3.18 ERA, 39.2 IP, 10 BB, 46 SO)
Pittsburgh: RHP Matt Pidich (3-1, 3.12 ERA, 34.2 IP, 7 BB, 37 SO)
- For the only time this season, Virginia will play in back-to-back road ACC series.
- The Cavaliers will have played six of the last seven games on the road at the conclusion of the Pittsburgh series.
- After an 11-3 losson Wednesdaynight at VCU, Virginia dropped to 1-7 away from Disharoon Park.
- Virginia will return homeon Tuesdayto begin a 10-game home stand, including ACC series vs. Virginia Tech and North Carolina.
- Virginia recorded its third shutout of the season with a 6-0 blanking of Longwoodon Tuesday.
- Three pitchers, Grant Donahue, Bobby Nicholson and Mack Meyer combined for a one-hit shutout at Disharooon Park. All three pitchers were part of the Feb. 28, 11-inning no-hitter against William & Mary.
- Playing in front of 3,621 at The Diamond, also home of the Richmond Flying Squirrels (AA home of the San Francisco Giants), Virginia surrendered seven runs over the first two innings in an 11-3 loss to VCU.
- The attendance number was the largest of any road game this season.
- Fridaywill mark the 19th meeting and fifth ACC series between Virginia and Pittsburgh
- The Cavaliers have won all five series against the Panthers and have taken the last eight games.
- Last season in Charlottesville, the Cavaliers outscored the Panthers, 21-6 in the three-game series.
- The two schools first met in 1940 and hadn’t played for 33 years until Pittsburgh joined the ACC in 2014.
- Virginia owns a 15-3 mark all time against Pittsburgh.
- Virginia has struck out 143 times this season, the least of any team in the ACC
- Andy Weber has 36 hits, tied for the seventh most in the ACC
- Caleb Knight has been hit by 13 pitches this season, tied for the most in the country.
- The 1-2 pitching combo of Derek Casey and Daniel Lynch both rank in the top 10 in the ACC in strikeouts. Casey ranks third with 54 and Lynch is tied for fifth with 46.
- Andy Weber, the team’s leading hitter at .356, is currently on a 11-game hit streak. He began the season hitting safely in his first eight games and held a 12-game hit streak dating back to last season.
- Caleb Knight has reached base safely in 10-straight games and 24 of the 25 games this year.
- During the midweek, Charlie Cody put forth back-to-back multi-hit games going 2-for-3 against both Longwood and VCU. He is tied for second on the team with seven multi-hit games in 2018.
- A converted infielder, Cayman Richardson has started the last four games in center field. He leads the team with three outfield assists.
- Saturday’sstarting pitcher Daniel Lynch has struck out 11 batters in each of his last two starts. Over his last 21.2 innings pitched he’s allowed just one run.
- Senior Derek Casey, who has struck out 10 or more batters three times this season, has walked only two batters in his last 21.2 innings of work.
- The Panthers had their annual Backyard Brawl against West Virginia postponed in the midweek and haven’t played since Sunday (March 25).
- Pittsburgh narrowly lost its third ACC series of the year last weekend at home vs. No. 19 Duke. After the Panthers captured an 8-7 win in game two to even the series, Duke used an RBI ground out in the top of the ninth for the deciding run in a 6-5 series clinching winon Sunday.
- Third baseman Liam Sabino leads the team in hitting, batting .368 with eight doubles, six home runs and 18 RBIs.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell