- The fourth-ranked Cavaliers are making their ninth NCAA Sweet 16 appearance (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1993, 1995, 2014, 2016).
- Virginia meets Iowa State for the first time in the NCAA Tournament and fourth time overall.
- UVA ranks Nos. 1, 4 and 6 in the KenPom.com overall, adjusted defense and adjusted offense efficiency ratings, respectively.
- UVA ranks third nationally in scoring defense (59.5 ppg), seventh in field goal shooting (49.1%) and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.56), 10th in 3-point field goal shooting (40.8%), 16th in free throw shooting (75.4%) and tied for 18th in scoring margin (11.3).
- The Virginia-Iowa State game will be televised on CBS and streamed online at NCAA.com (March Madness on Demand).
- The UVA-ISU game will be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network and Westwood One/NCAA Radio Network on Sirius (81) and XM (201).
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
- Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 164-71 in seven seasons at UVA and 233-104 in 10 seasons overall.
- Iowa State: Steve Prohm (Alabama, 1997), 23-11 in one season at Iowa State and 127-40 in five seasons overall.
All-Time in The NCAA Tournament
- Virginia is 27-19 all-time in 20 NCAA Tournament appearances.
- UVA is making its third consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance for the first time since 1993-95.
- UVA earned its fifth No. 1 seed and second in the last three seasons.
- UVA has an 11-4 record as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
- UVA reached the NCAA Final Four in 1981 and 1984.
- The Cavaliers reached their eighth NCAA Regional semifinal appearance in 2014, losing 61-59 to Michigan State.
- Virginia head coach Tony Bennett is 8-5 all-time in the NCAA Tournament, including a 5-3 mark at UVA.
All-Time vs. Iowa State
- UVA is 1-2 all-time against Iowa State in the series that dates back to the 2003-04 season.
- The teams will meet for the first time on a neutral court.
- UVA is 1-1 against the Cyclones in Charlottesville and 0-1 in Ames.
- UVA and ISU meet for the first time since the Cyclones defeated the Cavaliers 60-47 in Charlottesville during Tony Bennett’s second season at Virginia on Dec. 30, 2010.
- Virginia posted an 85-74 win over Iowa State in the first meeting at University Hall in 2003-04 and suffered an 81-79 loss in Ames in 2004-05.
Last Time vs. The Cyclones
- Jamie Vanderbeken tallied 24 points to lead Iowa State to a 60-47 win over Virginia on Dec. 30, 2010.
- KT Harrell led Virginia with nine points and Will Regan and Assane Sene had seven points each, respectively.
- Iowa State shot 46 percent (23-50) from the field and Virginia made just 32.3 percent (20-62) of its field goals.
- UVA was 3-of-24 from 3-point range, while ISU was 8-21.
Last Time Out
- Malcolm Brogdon scored 22 points and Anthony Gill added 19 to lead No. 1 seed Virginia to a 77-69 win over No. 9 seed Butler in NCAA Tournament second-round action on Saturday, March 19.
- Marial Shayok added 12 points and Mike Tobey added 10 points as UVA outscored Butler 22-7 in bench points.
- The Cavaliers overcame a 25-23 halftime deficit by shooting 73.1 percent (19-26) from the field in the second half.
- Andrew Chrabascz led Butler with 25 points and Roosevelt Jones added 18.
- UVA outrebounded Butler 32-22 and had 42 points in the paint.
UVA vs. The Big 12
- UVA meets its second Big 12 Conference opponent of the season, defeating West Virginia 70-54 at Madison Square Garden.
- The Cavaliers are 2-0 all-time against current Big 12 opponents in the NCAA Tournament (1-0 vs. Oklahoma and 1-0 vs. Kansas).
- UVA is 13-16 all-time against current Big 12 members (0-1 vs. Baylor, 1-2 vs. Iowa State, 1-2 vs. Kansas, 2-1 vs. Oklahoma, 0-1 vs. Oklahoma State, 0-1 vs. TCU and 9-8 vs. West Virginia).
- Tony Bennett is 1-1 all-time vs. the Big 12 as head coach at Virginia (1-0 vs. Oklahoma and 0-1 vs. Iowa State).
On The Horizon
- The Virginia-Iowa State winner advances to the Midwest Regional final against No. 10 seed Syracuse or No. 11 seed Gonzaga on Sunday, March 27.