Game Notes: #6 UVA basketball returns to action on Thursday vs. Cleveland State
The sixth-ranked UVA basketball team (9-0) returns from its 12-day exam break vs. Cleveland State (5-5) in non-conference action on Thursday, Dec. 18. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m.
- Virginia (9-0) meets Cleveland State (5-5) for the second time.
- Virginia seeks its first 10-0 start since 2000-01.
- The Cavaliers rank first in the nation in scoring defense (47.4 ppg) and third in field goal percentage defense (32.1%).
- UVa has held opponents under 70 points in a nation-leading 15 consecutive contests.
- UVa owns the nation’s eighth-longest home winning streak at 15 games.
- The Virginia-Cleveland State game will be televised on ESPNU and streamed online at WatchESPN.com.
- The game will be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
Virginia-Cleveland State Series
- UVa is 1-0 all-time against Cleveland State in the series that dates back to 2009-10.
- Virginia defeated Cleveland State 76-65 in the Cancun Challenge on Nov. 25, 2009, in Cancun, Mexico.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 115-60 in six seasons at UVa and 184-93 in nine seasons overall.
Cleveland State: Gary Waters (Ferris State, 1975), 162-117 in nine seasons at Cleveland State and 333-252 in 19 seasons overall.
Last Time vs. Cleveland State
- Sylven Landesberg paced five Cavaliers in double figures with 20 points in UVa’s 76-65 win over the Vikings in the Cancun Challenge on Nov. 25, 2009.
- Will Sherrill added 18 points, Mike Scott had 15 and Mustapha Farrakhan and Sammy Zeglinski added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Jeremy Montgomery led Cleveland State with 14 points and Aaron Pogue added 13.
- Former Cleveland State star and current Miami Heat guard Norris Cole chipped in 12 points, five assists and three steals.
- Virginia shot 52.8 percent and outrebounded the Vikings 32-18.
Virginia Moves Up to No. 6 in Latest Associated Press Poll
- UVa is ranked No. 6/5 in the latest associated press and USA Today coaches’ polls.
- The Cavaliers have been ranked in the top 10 for the first seven weeks of the season for the first time since 1982-83.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
Last Time Out
- Justin Anderson tallied a season-high 21 points to lead the Cavaliers to a 74-57 win at VCU on Dec. 6.
- Anderson sparked Virginia’s second-best field goal shooting performance (68.3%) in school history in the win.
- Anthony Gill added 18 points and eight rebounds, and Malcolm Brogdon chipped in 15 points.
- Virginia outrebounded VCU 35-21 and had 18 assists on its 28 made field goals.
- VCU was paced by Treveon Graham’s 17 points and Melvin Johnson added 15 points.
On The Horizon
- Virginia hosts Harvard in a sold out non-conference tilt on Sunday, Dec. 21. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 12 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell