Game Notes: #6 UVA basketball hosts Harvard on Sunday
No. 6 UVA (10-0) continues its three-game homestand with a non-conference game against Harvard (7-1) on Sunday, Dec. 21. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 12 p.m. The game is sold out.
- Virginia (10-0) meets Harvard (7-1) for the first time.
- Virginia seeks its first 11-0 start since 1992-93.
- The Cavaliers rank second in the nation in scoring defense (48.1 ppg) and third in field goal percentage defense (32.7%).
- UVa has held opponents under 70 points in a nation-leading 16 consecutive contests.
- UVa owns the nation’s eighth-longest home winning streak at 16 games.
- The Virginia-Harvard game will be televised on ESPNU and streamed online at WatchESPN.com.
- The game will be broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Sports app.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 116-60 in six seasons at UVa and 185-93 in nine seasons overall.
Harvard: Tommy Amaker (
Harvard Duke, 1987), 146-72 in eight seasons at Harvard and 322-211 in 18 seasons overall.
UVa Ranked in Top 10 For Seven Straight Weeks
- Virginia is ranked No. 6/5 in the latest associated press and USA Today coaches polls.
- The Cavaliers have been ranked in the top 10 for the first seven weeks of the season for the first time since 1982-83.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
Last Time Out
- Justin Anderson and Anthony Gill tallied 16 points apiece to lead Virginia to a 70-54 win over Cleveland State on Dec. 18.
- Virginia shot 50 percent or better for the third straight game and held the Vikings scoreless for 10:03 in the first half.
- Anthony Gill added 13 points and a game-high eight rebounds.
On The Horizon
- Virginia hosts Davidson in non-conference action on Tuesday, Dec. 30. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 6 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPNU.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell