Game Notes: #5 Virginia wraps non-conference slate with Oakland on Wednesday
- A limited number of tickets are on sale for the Virginia-Oakland game. Tickets can be purchased online at VirginiaSports.com or by phone at 1-800-542-8821.
- Virginia and Oakland meet for the first time.
- UVA ranks ninth nationally in scoring defense (59.2 ppg), 11th in free throw percentage (77%), 13th in field goal percentage (50.4%), and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.69), 14th in 3-point field goal percentage (41.8%) and 15th in turnover margin (4.5).
- Senior forward Anthony Gill is first UVA player to score in double figures in first 11 games of a season since Sean Singletary scored 10 or more points in all 33 games during 2007-08.
- Malcolm Brogdon leads UVA in scoring for third straight year at a career-best 16.5 points per game.
- London Perrantes is averaging career highs in points (11.3), field goal percentage (51.5%) and 3-point field goal percentage (57.6%).
- The Virginia-Oakland game will be televised on ESPNU, streamed online at WatchESPN.com and broadcast on the Virginia Sports Radio Network, VirginiaSports.com and Virginia Athletics mobile app on iTunes or Android.
- Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports app.
Virginia Basketball Getting Offensive
- Virginia is averaging 76 points per game, its most since 76.8 ppg in 2007-08.
- UVA ranks Nos. 2 and 3 in the KenPom.com adjusted and overall offensive efficiency ratings.
- UVA is shooting 50.4 percent from the field (best since 52.3% in 1982-83), 41.8 percent from 3-point range (best in school history) and 77 percent from the free throw line (best in school history).
- Virginia has scored 80 or more points in six games, its most under Tony Bennett and most since 11 in 2007-08.
- UVA’s 86 points against Villanova were its most scored against a top-25 opponent since tallying 87 in a road win at Minnesota in 2010-11.
- UVA has shot 55 percent or better in five games in 2015-16 after achieving the feat three times in 34 games in 2014-15 and four times in 37 games in 2013-14.
- The Cavaliers scored 82 or more points in three straight games (Nov. 19-22 at Charleston Classic) for the first time since the first three games of the 2001-02 season.
The Head Coaches
- Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 146-65 in seven seasons at UVA and 215-98 in 10 seasons overall.
- Oakland: Greg Kampe (Bowling Green State, 1978), 543-407 in 32 seasons at Oakland.
Last Time Out
- London Perrantes drilled a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left in overtime to lift Virginia to a 63-62 win over California on Dec. 22.
- Anthony Gill tallied a team-high 17 points and Jarred Reuter added 11 points in 16 minutes off the bench.
- Perrantes and Malcolm Brogdon each scored 10 points as UVA extended its winning streak to nine games.
- UVA shot a season-low 18.2 percent (4-22) in the first half, but shot 53.1 percent (17-32) in the second half and overtime.
On The Horizon
- Virginia opens ACC action against Notre Dame on Saturday, Jan. 2. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 5 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell