Game Notes: #3 UVA basketball on the road at #13 Notre Dame
- Virginia (14-0) is off to its best start since the 1980-81 season when that team led by legendary center Ralph Sampson started 23-0.
- The 1980-81 top-ranked Cavaliers’ 23-game winning streak to start the season ended with a 57-56 loss to then-No. 11 Notre Dame at the Rosemont Horizon on Feb. 22, 1981.
- UVa have a seven-game winning streak against Notre Dame.
- UVa ranks second in the nation in scoring defense at 50.8 points per game.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 120-60 in six seasons at UVa and 189-93 in nine seasons overall.
Notre Dame: Mike Brey (George Washington, 1982), 315-160 in 15 seasons at Notre Dame and 414-211 in 20 seasons overall.
UVa Ranked in Top 10 For 10 Straight Weeks
- UVa is ranked No. 3 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today coaches polls for the second straight week.
- The Cavaliers have been ranked in the top 10 for the first nine weeks of the season for the first time since 1982-83.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
Virginia All-Time vs. Notre Dame
- Virginia is 7-1 all-time vs. Notre Dame in the series that dates back to 1980-81.
- The Cavaliers’ seven-game winning steak against the Fighting Irish includes a pair of wins last season (68-53 win in Notre Dame and 70-49 in Charlottesville).
- Head coach Tony Bennett is 3-0 all-time against Notre Dame, including both wins last season and a 61-41 win over the Fighting Irish as head coach at Washington State in the 2008 NCAA Tournament in Denver, Colo.
- The Cavaliers are 2-0 against the Fighting Irish in Notre Dame.
Last Time Out
- Justin Anderson had a game-high 16 points and matched a career high with nine rebounds as Virginia turned back NC State 61-51 in ACC action on Jan. 7.
- Malcolm Brogdon added 14 points, Anthony Gill had 12 points and seven rebounds, and Mike Tobey contributed 11 points off the bench.
- Virginia led 32-31 at the half and held NC State to 36 percent field goal shooting in the second stanza to secure the win.
- Virginia outrebounded NC State 39-30 and went 9-10 from the free-throw line in its 19th-straight home victory.
- Ralston Turner led the Wolfpack with 14 points and Kyle Washington added 13 points and 10 rebounds.
Last Time vs. Notre Dame
- Akil Mitchell and Anthony Gill both had 15 points as Virginia used a 30-2 second-half run to defeat Notre Dame 70-49 on Feb. 22, 2014 at John Paul Jones Arena.
- UVa held a 48-43 lead when Justin Anderson blocked Zach Auguste’s dunk attempt, sending the Cavaliers on a fast break that Gill finished with a two-hand dunk.
- Pat Connaughton led the Fighting Irish with 11 points.
- Brogdon added 13 points, seven rebounds and six assists for UVa, which shot a season-high 63.6 percent (28-of-44) from the field.
On The Horizon
- Virginia hosts Clemson in ACC action on Tuesday, Jan. 13. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 8 p.m. The game will be televised on the ACC Network.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell