First full season at Wayne Theatre kicks off
The opening of an art exhibit, the debut of LIVE @ the WAYNE and a concert with the Chairmen of the Board highlight the Kickoff Weekend of the first full season at the Historic Wayne Theatre/Ross Performing Arts Center.
“This is the big opening weekend for the Wayne Theatre that we’ve been working toward for the past 15 years,” said Tracy Straight, the executive director of the Wayne Theatre, which re-opened in March after a lengthy, multimillion-dollar renovation.
The Kickoff Weekend begins on Thursday, Sept. 8, with the opening of an art exhibit celebrating the cultural legacy of the Wayne Theatre in the 21st century. The exhibit features the work of an array of well-regarded Virginia photographers, including Kevin Blackburn, Deb Booth, Conrad Matiuk, Mark Miller, and Alison Thomas. The art opening and reception will begin at 5 p.m.Admission is free.
On Friday, Sept. 9, at 7:30 p.m., the Wayne Theatre marks the debut of a new monthly variety show, LIVE @ the WAYNE, on Friday, Sept. 9. The debut of LIVE @ the WAYNE will feature Americana music artist Bryan Elijah Smith, who will join host Tracy Straight and house band The Boogie Kings at the 7:30 p.m. show. Admission to LIVE @ the WAYNE is $15.
The Kickoff Weekend finale is Saturday, Sept. 10, at 8 p.m., with Chairmen of the Board, one of soul music’s most consistent hit makers. Tickets for the Chairmen of the Board show are $20/$25.
Other highlights of the 2016 full season include …
- September 22: Johnny Peers and the Muttville Comix
- September 23: Big Bill Morganfield
- October 2: Jill Haley
- October 14: Scott Miller Country
- October 15: Wilson Fairchild
- October 21: Acrobats of Cirque-Tacular and Spooktacular
- October 28: Who’s Bad – The Ultimate Michael Jackson Experience
- October 29: Standup Comedy with Brett Leake and Tony Deyo
- November 1: Holiday Decorating Secrets with Celebrity Designer Sam Harris
- November 10-20: The Secret Garden Musical
- November 26: Scott Linton Bluegrass
- December 10: Wilson Fairchild Christmas Show
The Wayne Theatre/Ross Performing Arts Center is located at 521 West Main Street in downtown Waynesboro.