Fall back: And check your smoke alarms
Albemarle County Fire Rescue is encouraging all residents to replace their smoke alarm batteries and check their alarms on Sunday, November 2nd, when clocks are turned back to end Daylight Savings Time. Taking part of the “extra hour” to check smoke alarms can have lifesaving consequences. United States Fire Administration (USFA) data indicates that an operating smoke alarm could reduce the risk of dying in a house fire by 50 percent.
USFA statistics show that three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.
The Department of Fire Rescue offers these additional fire safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms;
- Test all smoke alarms monthly;
- Keep smoke alarms clean by vacuuming over and around them regularly;
- As with any appliance, smoke alarms wear out. Replace the entire unit after 10 years or as recommended by the manufacturer;
- Make sure you know the location of your local fire station, rescue squad, police station, and hospital;
- Post a list of emergency numbers near all telephones;
- Organize and practice a family fire drill.
More information can be found at www.ACFireRescue.org and at http://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/smoke_alarms.html.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell