Creating a community services project: What you should know
If you want to make real changes within the community, working on a community services project can be a great way to do it. Doing so gives you the opportunity to provide support and care for people who need it.
If you want to plan your own community services project, it helps to have training by taking community services courses. It also helps if you have an awareness of how a community services project should run. Here is some of the most important information that you need to know.
Create steps for the project
Any project benefits from breaking the planning up into smaller parts, and projects in the realm of customer services are no different. This is because it’s less daunting to deal with different parts of the planning than it is to try and manage the whole thing at once. There are several parts that you should concentrate on including:
- The end at the beginning. You need to establish your final goal and timeline at the very start of the project.
- Knowing what is needed. Resources play an important part in any project so you will need to establish what is required before work on the project begins.
- Creating relevant milestones. Any project needs to involve milestones in order to be successful. These milestones help the project to remain on track and can be motivating to members of the team.
- Assigning tasks to people. It’s essential that you assign the right tasks to the right people. This is why you need to pay attention to what skills are required for each task and find volunteers who have those specific skills.
Find the right volunteers to help
In order to assign tasks effectively, and make sure that the project is as successful as possible, you need to make sure that you have sufficient suitable volunteers. In order to do this, you have to take certain actions.
- Build a job description for each role. This does not just help you understand what skills each volunteer needs, it also helps the people who work on the project to understand what is expected of them.
- Speak to people you know who have the skills that you need. It makes sense to use the services of people who you are already familiar with, if you can.
- Use online sites to advertise your project to suitable volunteers. This helps to expand your reach and make your project more successful.
- Take on more volunteers than necessary. Doing this means that you reduce the risk of problems should any volunteers no longer be available or should the needs of the project change.
Work with people who have experience
One of the best ways to ensure that a community services project is successful is to get help from people who have experience. This means that you should speak to people who have taken part in this type of project before and can help you understand some of the challenges involved.
Get help from within the community
If your project is going to help members of the local community, it makes sense that local people and businesses will want to help. This can be very useful to you as it can give you access to volunteers, resources and financial backing.
Paying attention to this advice should give you a good start with planning your community services project.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell