Court Square Theater announces Royal Opera House 2018-19 season
The 2018-19 season of Royal Opera House ballets and operas is almost here. Starting in early December and running through June, Court Square Theater will screen pre-recorded live performances of amazing shows: Mayerling, The Nutcracker, Don Quixote, Faust and more.
The Royal Opera, under the direction of Antonio Pappano, is one of the world’s leading opera companies. Based in the iconic Covent Garden theatre, it is renowned both for its outstanding performances of traditional opera and for commissioning new works by today’s leading opera composers, such as Harrison Birtwistle, Mark-Anthony Turnage and Thomas Adès.
- Mayerling Sunday, Dec 2; 1 pm Dangerous desires, family secrets and political intrigues twist through every moment of daring choreography in Kenneth MacMillan’s ballet inspired by true events.
- The Nutcracker Sunday, Dec 23; 7 pm A Christmas treat for the whole family, and a classic that has a special place in the hearts of ballet fans around the world.
- La Bayadère Sunday, Dec 30; 1 pm Natalia Makarova’s production of this 19th-century classic ballet brings an exotic world of temple dancers and warriors to life.
- The Queen Of Spades Sunday, Feb 17; 1 pm Tchaikovsky’s most ambitious opera contains some of his greatest music and is a powerful study of destructive obsession.
- La Traviata Sunday, March 3; 1 pm Richard Eyre’s beautiful production provides the perfect setting for Verdi’s opera about a courtesan who sacrifices all for love.
- Don Quixote Sunday, April 7; 6 pm Love and friendship triumph in Carlos Acosta’s vibrant production of this dazzling ballet.
- La Forza Del Destino Monday, May 13; 6 pm Christof Loy directs a star-studded cast of singers, including Anna Netrebko, Jonas Kaufmann and Ludovic Tézier, in Verdi’s epic opera, conducted by Antonia Pappano.
- Faust Sunday, June 16; 1 pm Experience the decadence and elegance of 1870s Paris in David McVicar’s spectacular production of Gounod’s best-loved opera
Tickets (Adult $14, Senior $12, Student $10) are available at valleyarts.org, or by calling 540.433.9189. New this season: buy at least one ticket to five different shows, and receive a 20% discount!
Arts Council of the Valley’s Court Square Theater is located at 41-F Court Square in Downtown Harrisonburg.