Central Shenandoah EMS Council announces regional EMS award winners
“I’m pleased to be able to recognize and honor the EMS providers who serve in the Shenandoah Valley,” said CSEMSC President, Gary Critzer. “These award recipients represent the ‘best of the best.’ While EMS professionals are trained to respond appropriately during medical emergencies, it’s a very difficult job. This evening, we honor emergency medical service providers for serving our community members during their most vulnerable moments,” he added.
“The Central Shenandoah EMS Council’s Regional EMS Awards program provides local EMS personnel the opportunity to recognize the outstanding efforts of their fellow emergency medical responders,” said Chad Blosser, Executive Director for the Council. “Each year, there are EMS providers and system participants who stand out for their extraordinary accomplishments.”
“Some recipients have demonstrated a superior commitment to patient care, some have made strides toward improving the local EMS system and still others have made significant ancillary contributions to our local EMS system. With tonight’s celebration, we acknowledge their contributions toward public health, safety and wellness.” he added.
Recipients of this year’s regional awards compete for the 2015 Governor’s EMS Awards, which will be announced at the Virginia EMS Symposium’s Annual Awards Ceremony, November 14, in Norfolk, Va. Winners will be presented with a trophy and a certificate signed by the Governor.
The 2015 Central Shenandoah EMS Council Award Recipients
- Excellence in EMS – Amanda McComas, Fairfield Volunteer Rescue Squad, CarilionClinic Lifeguard 12 & Central Shenandoah EMS Council, Inc.
- Physician with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – James Forrest Calland, M.D., F.A.C.S., University of Virginia Health System
- Outstanding EMS Telecommunications Dispatcher – Penni Walker, Waynesboro Emergency Communications Center
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Educator – Rebecca Anhold, Mount Solon Fire & Rescue and Bridgewater Rescue Squad
- Outstanding Pre-Hospital Provider – Richard Moyer, Waynesboro First Aid Crew • Outstanding EMS Agency – Waynesboro Fire Department
- Outstanding EMS Administrator – Chad Blosser, Central Shenandoah EMS Council, Inc.
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS by a High School Senior ($1,000) – Nicholas Shifflett, Grottoes Rescue Squad, New Hope Volunteer Fire Department and McGaheysville Volunteer Fire Company
- Nurse with Outstanding Contribution to EMS – Sandy Fischer, Hot Springs Rescue Squad and Hot Springs Fire Department
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS Health and Safety – Blue Ridge Crisis Intervention Team
- Outstanding Contribution to EMS for Children – Sam the Safety- Saurus, Staunton Augusta Rescue Squad
- Senior Rescue Squad Member of the Year – Jeremy Wampler, Grottoes Rescue Squad, Waynesboro First Aid Crew, Rockbridge County Fire & Rescue and Weyers Cave Volunteer Fire Company
- Kevin Sperka Memorial Award ($500) – Allison Rowzie, Stuarts Draft Rescue Squad