AAA: Top 5 Thanksgiving travel tips
With so many travelers on the road, AAA is providing the top five things you need to know to ensure you and your family reach your destination safely.
- Ensure your vehicle is properly maintained. Tires, fluid levels, belts, hoses, and the car battery should be checked before hitting the open road. AAA Car Care, Insurance and Travel Centersare able to provide a courtesy 42-point inspection on your vehicle to ensure your car is road ready (by appointment only).
- Map your route in advance and be prepared for busy roads during the most popular travel times (Wednesday, November 23rd and Sunday, November 27th). If possible, consider leaving earlier or later to avoid heavy traffic.
- Have roadside assistance contact information on hand in case an incident occurs on the road. Also make sure to keep an emergency roadside kit in your vehicle that includes jumper cables, flares/reflectors, flashlight, water and non-perishable snacks, blanket, first aid kit, shovel, kitty litter/sand or traction mats, extra gloves and a full charged cell phone.
- Download the AAA Mobile App to find the best gas prices in your area, request roadside assistance, or map out your route.
- Buckle-up! According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), car crashes are the leading cause of death for people age 4 and every age 11 through 27 in the U.S. With 45 to 60 percent effectiveness, seat belts are the single most effective means of reducing the risk of death in a crash and have saved nearly 300,000 lives since 1975 in the U.S. alone.
With a little prep, travelers can leave the road-trip stress at home and enjoy the holiday with family and friends.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell