#8 UVA basketball plays LaSalle in Barclays Center Classic in Brooklyn
No. 8 UVA (5-0) plays La Salle (4-0) in the Barclays Center Classic on Friday (Nov. 28) in Brooklyn, N.Y. Tipoff at Barclays Center is set for 9:30 p.m. The winner of the Virginia-La Salle game plays the winner of the Rutgers-Vanderbilt game on Saturday at 9:30 p.m. The losers will meet on Saturday at 7 p.m.
- The Cavaliers meet La Salle for the first time since the 1957-58 season at the Barclays Center Classic.
- Virginia is 5-0 for the first time since 2007-08 and seeks its first 6-0 start since 2004-05.
- Virginia has won each of its first five games by at least 17 points.
- The Virginia-La Salle winner meets the Rutgers-Vanderbilt winner on Saturday, Nov. 29 at 9:30 p.m.
- The Cavaliers rank first in the nation in scoring defense (44.6 ppg) and second in field goal percentage defense (29.3%).
- UVa has outrebounded each of its opponents and has a +16.2 rebounding margin.
- Justin Anderson has led or tied for the team lead in scoring in each of the first five games and is averaging a career-high 16.8 points.
- Virginia’s 43-point margin of victory was its most since a 45-point win over Grambling on Dec. 30, 2001 (112-67).
The Virginia-La Salle game will be televised on the NBC Sports Network and streamed online at NBCSports.com. The gamecan be heard locally on WINA AM 1070 in Charlottesville, VirginiaSports.com and the Virginia Sports App (free of charge) with the pre-game show beginning at 9 p.m. Live statistics will be located on VirginiaSports.com, as well as the Virginia Sports app.
Tickets for the Barclays Center Classic may be purchased at Ticketmaster.com.
Virginia-La Salle Series
- La Salle leads Virginia 2-0 in the all-time series that dates back to the 1947-48 season.
- The Explorers topped the Cavaliers, 67-59, in the first meeting in Philadelphia on Jan. 10, 1948.
- La Salle added a 72-64 win over Virginia in the last meeting in Richmond on Dec. 27, 1957.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 111-60 in six seasons at UVa and 180-93 in nine seasons overall.
La Salle: Dr. John Giannini (North Central, 1984), 162-154 in 11 seasons at La Salle and 459-304 in 26 seasons overall.
Virginia Moves Up to No. 8 in Latest Associated Press Poll
- UVa is ranked No. 8/7 in the latest associated press and USA Today coaches’ polls.
- The Cavaliers were ranked No. 9/8 in the AP and USA Today preseason coaches’ polls.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- UVa’s No. 3 final AP ranking last season marked its highest final ranking since 1982.
- Mike Tobey tallied his first career double-double with 13 points and a career-high 16 rebounds and Anthony Gill added 16 points on 6-6 shooting.
- Virginia led 42-17 at the half, had a 32-0 run and led by 45 points in the win.
- The Cavaliers dominated the glass, outrebounding the Tigers 49-22.
- The 36 points allowed by Virginia tied for the third-lowest total by an opponent in the shot clock era
On The Horizon
Virginia plays Maryland in the 2014 ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday, Dec. 3. Tipoff at Xfinity Center in College Park is set for 9:15 p.m.