#3 UVA basketball opens ACC play at Miami on Saturday
- Virginia (12-0) is off to its best start since the 1981-82 season and seeks its first 13-0 start since 1980-81.
- The Cavaliers are 6-0 in their last six ACC openers.
- UVa ranks second in the nation in scoring defense at 48.3 points per game.
- Virginia opens its 62nd season of ACC action.
- The Cavaliers are 5-0 in ACC openers under head coach Tony Bennett and 26-35 all-time.
- Virginia looks to win its seventh consecutive ACC opener.
- The Cavaliers defeated Florida State 62-50 in last year’s ACC season opener in Tallahassee, Fla.
The Head Coaches
Virginia: Tony Bennett (Green Bay, 1992), 118-60 in six seasons at UVa and 187-93 in nine seasons overall.
Mami: Jim Larranaga (Providence, 1971), 76-39 in four seasons at Miami and 546-373 in 31 seasons overall.
UVa Ranked in Top 10 For Nine Straight Weeks
- UVa is ranked No. 3 in the latest Associated Press and USA Today coaches polls.
- The Cavaliers have been ranked in the top 10 for the first nine weeks of the season for the first time since 1982-83.
- The No. 9 AP preseason ranking was UVa’s best since a No. 1 ranking to start the 1982-83 season.
- Virginia is 6-10 all-time vs. Miami in the series that dates back to 1965-66.
- The Cavaliers are 0-6 vs. the Hurricanes in Coral Gables, including a 54-50 loss in the 2012-13 season.
- The Cavaliers defeated Miami 65-40 in the last meeting between the teams in Charlottesville on Feb. 26, 2014.
- Head coach Tony Bennett is 3-4 all-time against Miami.
Last Time Out
- Anthony Gill set career highs in points (25) and rebounds (13) for his second career double-double as Virginia rallied for an 83-72 win over Davidson on Dec. 30.
- Virginia trailed by 12 points in the first half, but outscored Davidson 51-36 in the second stanza to record its 12th-straight win.
- Darion Atkins tallied his first career double-double with a season-high 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Malcolm Brogdon added 16 points and a 12-12 effort from the charity stripe in the win.
- Justin Anderson tallied 14 points, including four 3-pointers, for UVa.
Last Time vs. Miami
- London Perrantes had a career-high 15 points on 5-of-5 shooting, including a career-best 4-of-4 from 3-point range, to lead Virginia to a 65-40 win over Miami on Feb. 26, 2014.
- Malcolm Brogdon added 15 points and Joe Harris had 11 for UVa, which improved to 10-1 when holding opponents under 50 points.
- Erik Swoope had 13 points and Rion Brown added 12 for Miami.
- The Cavaliers held Miami to 26.3 percent shooting from the field, including 0-for-12 on 3-pointers.
- Akil Mitchell had a game-high nine rebounds as UVa outrebounded the Hurricanes 37-30.
- The Cavaliers shot 56.3 percent from 3-point range (9-of-16) as four players (Harris, Brogdon, Justin Anderson and Evan Nolte) each hit from long distance.
On The Horizon
- Virginia hosts NC State in ACC action on Wednesday, Jan. 7. Tipoff at John Paul Jones Arena is set for 7 p.m. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
UVA Basketball Fans!
Dick Vitale on Team of Destiny: “This is a hoops story you will LOVE! Jerry and Chris capture the sensational and dramatic championship journey by Tony Bennett and his tenacious Cavalier team. UVA was Awesome Baby and so is this book!”
Ralph Sampson on Team of Destiny: “Jerry and Chris have lived and seen it all, even before my time. I highly recommend this book to every basketball fan across the globe. This story translates to all who know defeat and how to overcome it!”
Feedback from buyers: “Got the Book in the Mail Saturday, and could not put it down! Great read and great photography as well! Love all of the books I’ve received, but hands down, this is my favorite!” – Russell