#2 UVA claws Clemson, 65-42
Second-ranked UVA needed a half to get its bearings straight. The Cavs outscored Clemson 29-6 in the opening 11:35 of the second half to break open a close game and coasted from there to a 65-42 win over the Tigers in front of a sellout crowd at the John Paul Jones Arena Tuesday night.
Virginia (16-0, 4-0 ACC) led just 25-19 at halftime, shooting 38.5 percent from the field as the ‘Hoos missed on several open looks. Clemson (9-7, 1-3 ACC) stayed in the game by shooting 47.4 percent from the floor (9-of-19), and could have been closer if not for eight first-half turnovers.
Another three by Brogdon at the 13:29 mark pushed the lead to 17 at 40-23, and the rout was on.
- The Cavaliers extended their home-court winning streak to 20 games (19 of the 20 victories during the streak have been by double digits)
• The 20-game home winning streak is the seventh-longest active streak in the nation
• The 20-game win streak is also a John Paul Jones Arena record
• Virginia opens a season 16-0 for the first time since 1980-81 (started 23-0)
• The Cavaliers open ACC play with a 4-0 record for the first time since 1994-95
• Virginia extended its ACC home court win streak to 20 games
• Virginia held Clemson scoreless for a 6:49 span of the first half and a 6:29 span at the end of the first half/start of the second half, the 11th and 12th times this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent scoreless for at least six minutes this season
• Clemson’s 19 first-half points marks the 12th time this season Virginia has allowed under 20 points in a half this season (sixth time in first half)
• Malcolm Brogdon (16 points) scored in double figures for the 12th time this season (46th time in his career)
• Justin Anderson (15 points) scored in double figures for the 14th time this season (41st time in his career)
• Isaiah Wilkins (five points) scored his first career ACC points, including his first career three-pointer
• B.J. Stith (three points) scored his first career ACC points, including his first career three-pointer