A moral tragedy is unfolding because of the overconfidence of groups like Earth Day Network that we know the future of climate and that control it by through our carbon dioxide emissions.
Across the world people suffer due to climate change. Yet aid agencies are unable to secure sufficient funds to help them because, of the $1 billion spent globally every day on climate finance, only 6% of it is goes to helping vulnerable people adapt to climate change today. Because activists have convinced governments that we are the master controllers of climate, the remaining 94% is poured into mitigation, trying to stop phenomena that might someday happen. This is immoral, valuing the lives of people yet to be born more than those in need today.
Reports such as those of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change illustrate that, contrary to Earth Day Networks’ assertions, there is no known consensus among scientists about what caused the past century’s modest warming or even whether warming or cooling lie ahead.
Experts do agree that climate always changes and people need help now. Let’s help them to the degree we can afford and stop pretending we have a crystal ball to the future.
Tom Harris is the executive director of the International Climate Science Coalition.