D.C. United Women begin new tradition tonight with first match in franchise history
D.C. United Women open their inaugural United Soccer Leagues W-League season on Wednesday, when they travel to New Jersey to take on the New Jersey Wildcats at 7:30 p.m. at Lions’ Stadium on the campus of The College of New Jersey.
United head coach Mike Jorden and his squad will attempt to earn their first-ever victory on the road against a Wildcats team that has already earned three points following a 3-1 win over the New York Magic on Sunday.
“We are all anxious to take the field,” said United Women coach Mike Jorden. “Although we’ve had limited time to prepare, the girls have looked sharp in training. It will be a tough one against the Wildcats, but we’re all excited to get the season underway and hope to come away with a result.”
The Wildcats (1-0-0, 3 points) kicked off the season with goals from three different players to upend the Magic and jump to the top of the Northeast Division alongside the Long Island Rough Riders (1-0-0, 3 points).
Taylor Reinecke, Erika Duncan and Jessica Fuccello scored for New Jersey.
Among the leaders for D.C. United Women on Wednesday will be U.S. Women’s National team up-and-comer Christine Nairn and veteran player/coach Christie Welsh, both Penn State products. They will be joined by recently announced signings and top college veterans Tiffany Brown, Jerica DeWolfe and Danielle Malagari, as well as a strong cast of high-level players with experience from top schools, youth national teams and professional sides from the West Coast to Germany.
List of players traveling for the match on Wednesday:
- D – Marisa Abegg, Stanford / Washington Freedom
- GK – Jane Aman, William & Mary Fall 2011 / FC Virginia Explosion
- D – Ashley Bazzarone, BYU / Loudoun HotShots
- F – Tiffany Brown, Colorado College / Washington Freedom U-20
- M – Christy Bush, Shippensburg / Maryland Pride
- M – Katie Cramp, Virginia Tech / MPS Freedom Elite
- M – Brittany Cummins, Maryland / Cincinnati United
- D – Jerica DeWolfe, Dayton / Maryland Pride
- GK – Didi Haracic*, Loyola / MPS McLean Dragons
- D – Bri Hovington, Penn State / US Under-20 National Team
- M – Danielle Malagari, Maryland / Maryland Pride
- M – Katie Menzie, JMU / FC Virginia
- M – Christine Nairn, Penn State / U.S. National Team
- M – Jill Porto, UAB / Atlanta Silverbacks
- M – Hayley Siegel*, Santa Clara / VFL-Sindelfingen
- F – Katie Watson, ODU / Washington Freedom
- D – Megan Watson, Maryland / DSB Kickers
- F – Christie Welsh, Penn State / Washington Freedom
(* Pending league approval, expected today)
More details at www.dcunitedwomen.com.