UVA (29-2) led 38-21 with 1:40 to go in the first half, but threes by Dwayne Sutton and Deng Adel got the Cardinals (20-13) back to 38-27 at the half.
A De’Andre Hunter three with 12:10 to go had the ‘Hoos up 54-41, but an 11-2 Louisville run capped by a Jordan Nwore dunk with 8:55 left cut the lead to four, at 56-52.
Then, it was time for the Cavalanche, fueled as usual on the defensive end. Louisville went without a field goal for more than eight minutes, and a pair of finishes at the rim by Mamadi Diakite ignited a game-ending 19-6 run.
Kyle Guy led the Cavaliers with 19 points. Devon Hall had 14, Hunter had 12, Ty Jerome 11 and Diakite finished with 10.
- Virginia improved to 29-2
- The Cavaliers advanced to the ACC semifinals for the fourth time in the last five years (24thoverall)
- UVA has at least one win in each of the last five ACC tournaments, tying a program best (1970-74)
- UVA is 26-3 all-time in the 16 weeks as the top-ranked team
- UVA has a six-game winning streak
- UVA has 29 or more wins for the eighth time in history (1981, 1982, 1983, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)
- UVA is 13-4 all-time vs. Louisville, including a seven-game winning streak vs. the Cardinals
- The Cavaliers improved to 6-1 all-time at Barclays Center (3-0 this season)
- UVA improved to 39-62 all-time at the ACC Tournament
- Virginia limited its 30th opponent to less than 50 percent shooting (Louisville – 36.7%)
- UVA led 38-27 at the half and improved to 26-0 when leading at halftime
- UVA held its 23rd opponent to 60 or fewer points
- UVA had 42 points in the paint, marking its second best of the season (44 at Georgia Tech)
- Kyle Guy (19 points) led UVA in scoring for the 12th time, reaching double figures for the 25th time
- Guy’s 19 points were his most since scoring 22 against Louisville onJan. 31
- Devon Hall (14 points) reached double figures for the 21st time
- Mamadi Diakite had 10 points and has scored nine or more points in four of the last five games
- Ty Jerome (11 points) reached double figures for the 16th time this season
- De’Andre Hunter (12 points) reached double figures for the 15th time this season
- Isaiah Wilkins totaled six rebounds to move into sole possession of 18th on UVA’s all-time rebounding list with 618
- Wilkins had two blocked shots and ranks third all-time at UVA with 140 career blocks
(We won’t ever try that again. Almost killed us!)
That said, it’s free to read, but it still costs us money to produce. The site is updated several times a day, every day, 365 days a year, 366 days on the leap year.
(Stuff still happens on Christmas Day, is what we’re saying there.)
AFP does well in drawing advertisers, but who couldn’t use an additional source of revenue?
From time to time, readers ask us how they can support us, and we usually say, keep reading.
Now we’re saying, you can drop us a few bucks, if you’re so inclined.